Architect Edward D. Pierre came to Indianapolis to practice in the 1920s partnering with George Caleb Wright from 1926 to 1944. Pierre was the designer and Wright managed the business and engineering design. The firm designed and was heavily involved in the construction of the Indiana State Library and Historical Building (NR) The firm also designed the Abraham Lincoln Memorial and Museum building (NHL) in Spencer County. Always interested in community development and city planning, Pierre developed a master plan for the city in 1953 and was involved with a statewide development and beautification plan that was to coincide with Indiana’s 1966 sesquicentennial. This same interest led to Pierre’s involvement with an American Institute of Architect’s project called the Small House Service Bureau. The aim of the organization was to provide quality architect-drawn designs for small homes. For a period of time in the late 1920s the bureau had an office in Indianapolis. It was through his involvement with the bureau that Pierre designed two homes in Washington Park. The homes at 4063 and 4065 New Jersey are mirror images, the former being unaltered. The exterior design is very near the Small House design “Five Room in the English Style” found in one of their publications. The interior design matches “A House of Many Surprises” on the first floor, and there is only a slight deviation on the second. The plans and drawings for the west elevations for both houses are in the Ball State University Archives. In 1924, Pierre also designed a home for Harry Bowser at 4202 Central. This home is a modest story-and-a-half brick Tudor.